Monday, September 15, 2008

Music Influence on Teens

Share your thoughts from the two articles from teenagertoday.com and the NY Time blog post. Any thoughts about the bias present? Do you agree with the statements contained in the articles? 

24 comments:

Mr. Jared Nichol said...

over 30, 000 reference to alcohol and drugs a year! That has to have SOME impact on the listeners.

Unknown said...

I don't think music has much of an effect on kids minds. when you listen to music you don't listen to every word and think about what it means,you just listen to it. kids don't look at music like the scientist people look at it.

The Wine Makers Apprentice said...

i do not think that music can change the way you behave. people just listen to them because of the song itself not the lyrics. so i dont think it changes it influences the way you act

Anonymous said...

I don't think that music can have that much impact on a person, lots of people don't even listen to the lyrics of songs. Music is just an expression.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

First Article - I think music can influence people, but not so much that people would commit suicide. That's whack

Mama J said...

i think that music has a huge effect n peoples lives and it has a big effect on the drug and alcohol use of teens today.

Ben said...

I think that teens are influenced by songs because there have been people that have suicided because they though it was cool or they were depressed, or they though it would make them go to heaven.

Tyson Haeh said...

I think that the music has absolutely nothing to do with the decisions of teenagers it all has to do with their belief of what's right and wrong, if their parents didn't teach them what's wrong and right its not their fault its then the parents.

My parents don't generally care about what music I listen too as long as it isn't full of swears, and stuff about drugs, and sex. Some music is kind of violent but not really. There are some swears in my music but very little.

Anonymous said...

i don't believe that music is offensive it is expression there is nothing anyone can do to stop you if you really want to do it than everyone will find a way to get what they want. parents cant try all they want to make you stop listening to music but it won't work because everyone has friends and access to music, videos and movies we'll find a way!!

Mckinley said...

I really don't think music lyrics lead to murder or suicide. It's just the persons emotions that are making them do this acrimony.

Unknown said...

In the first article, I think that what they were saying is true. Music can influence people but in most cases it can't or won't be able to. When people are young, parents instantly start teaching you the difference between right and wrong. Listening to a song would not be able to change what your parents have taught you. Sure, some songs are offensive but not that much that they could make someone commit suicide, murder, etc.

Unknown said...

I think that music does effect peoples lives. But in negative and positive ways. Some people might feel better about their themselves after hearing about some one doing drugs or something, while others may feel like their lives are worse if they hear a love song on the radio, and they can't seem to get a date. I think it all depends on who you are.

Kyle Stevens said...

That was biased towards music actually influence people because they had no quotes for it not influencing people.

Pearl said...

Yes I do think that music has a large effect on peoples lives. Like the teenagerstoday.com said, music today is more diverse than ever. Many of the lyrics and titles have derogitory and inappropriate phrases that are disrespectful and and rude. My mom is always complaining about the music I listen to because it is so different from her generations music. Music has evolved a lot for the better and worse. I do agree that music has become very empowering and can have huge effects on our lives.

Anonymous said...

it says that rap music has the most references but who can even understand what they are saying?

Alex Loeffelmann said...

NNNOOO WAAYYY.
-Music may influence you, in some ways,
but it doesn't make us physically repeat these actions.
Its just one popular song after another. Just music.

dakOTA said...

Well The Music I Listen Too is SCREAMO and Hardstyle Techno.Once in a while the screamo will make me feel down. but the techno "sometimes" talks about drugs.
so i don't think that music has that big of an impact on the listeners so its nothing to worry about.

Anonymous said...

i think that should to be able to pick what music they want to and shouldn’t be limited by others choices music and beilefes

Anonymous said...

I think that without this kind of stupid music, the world would be a better place. I bet a lot of people would still be alive. Before all this technology, a wise man once said, " back then people lived in harmony, maybe even better than us today."

Anonymous said...

i think that still it is not the music that influences the person it is what they believe and what they were taught from there parents. and i agree with the pat about the children learning what is right to do and what is wrong, and if the parents are not responsible enough to then the schools should.

Anonymous said...

I think that music does have an effect on children and teens, but it depends on the music they listen to. If a child comes to school with bad language the teachers are going to come to the parents with a lot of questions. But i don't believe music is going to make teens and kids go around killing each other,

Anonymous said...

it may influence you in some ways but when we all heard the titanic we didn't go jump into the ocean!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I think that music has a huge effect on our lives because in some cases music makes people mostly you can see it on the way they dress up and act.