Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Great Expectations

Do you ever feel torn between the expectations of others and your own expectations for yourself? Do teachers expect unfair behaviour from you? When faced with peer, society or school pressure to conform, how do you react?

This is a public post, so use only your first name, and remember your audience! 

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

honestly i have no clue i just live. and what ever happens happens

Anonymous said...

I don't feel torn between expectations of others and expectations of myself. When someone wants me to do something that i don't want to do i don't listen to them. When faced with peer, society and school pressure to conform I don't conform very well.

Anonymous said...

yes, teachers want me to act different, then i am told to just be myself, its just effin crazy sometimes, then i get angry because i dont no what to do

Alex Loeffelmann said...

I never really feel torn...
The expectations of me and of the teachers are
sort of the same. I don't expect to be perfect, but i expect to do well and work hard for the things that i want. The pressure however is not very big for me, but I do fall easily into.. something i should work on?
Teachers don't expect anything unfair, and I realize that there tough on us in here, because of how hard it is out there. Not much in my life is unfair. Although, with everything going on in my life the pressures and expectations do catch up to me, but i don't think you would want to be there for when that happens.

Pearl said...

Yes, I often feel that it is hard to stay true to my morals when others are doing things against my morals. The pressure of my peers is hard to avoid and especially hard to resist. I recently gave into it and let me tell you, its not fun to deal with after! I think that teachers expect a behavior that should really be followed by students. I can tell that teenagers today are behaving way differently than teenagers 10 years ago. Swearing is not uncommon and neither are derogatory comments, teachers just expect a good attitude and respect! When I am pressured by a peer I normally react by telling them I'm not going to do what they want especially if its wrong, I know that its often super hard not to give into but its better to stay true to yourself than to have disappointed your parents.

Anonymous said...

i dont get torn between expectations of others when i am asked to do something i do it depending on what it is. and i dont get that last question.

Becky McMillan said...

YES i think that people my parents and coaches are always thinking that i can do something when i know i cant and then they treat me like i have no confidence when really i just cant do it! Peer preasure is always in ur life and u have to learn how to get around it by just knowing what is right for u and sticking to that.

Anonymous said...

No I don't usually feel torn between peoples expectations of me. I do think that teachers expect unfair behaviour from me. because the way I act at home is considered 'unacceptable' in the public. I usually do not give in to peer pressure and stick to my own views and style and whatnot.

Anonymous said...

I don't like how others expect so much of you and want you to do so much stuff but you just cant handle it because you have more things than just that or them in your life.

Ben said...

I feel torn between expectations of others. When getting pressured to conform, I resist.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

yes, it is hard to be yourself sometimes when there is a bunch of people expecting you to do something or be something your not. But usually I just let it pass and go on with life.

Tyson Haeh said...

sometimes I dont like what teachers expect, but alot of times im torn by what others expect of me and what I expect of me. its not fair!

Unknown said...

I don't know i just do what ever and don't do what ever people say. I don't really act different around teachers

Anonymous said...

i actually don't really care and i also don't really know so i would just say when it happens let it happen :P

Unknown said...

Yes, sometimes I do because you want to be just yourself, but that is always hard to do when you are with a bunch of people who aren't like you. It's like you have two paths to choose from, but you are stuck and you don't know where to go. But sometimes you just have to go with the flow and what happens will happen and there is nothing you can do to avoid it. When someone is trying to peer pressure me to act or do something a certain way, it is sometimes hard to avoid, but most of the time I am able to.

No most teachers don't expect unfair behavior from me.

Pearl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I like working at my own pace so I don't care about peer pressure that much. I just be myself and don't let any one tell me what to do.

Unknown said...

i only feel the expectation of my self . Im not going to just give in to day to day presure

Anonymous said...

i think for the most part teachers are fair. however the expectations of my family are sometimes to high and they expect to many things. and as for peers, my peers sometimes want me to do things that i know are wrong or that i don't want to and they should respect the decision and not pressure. when i react i try to make it clear that they will not succeed in changing my decision

Anonymous said...

No, I never really feel that way. I work hard for the things I have and my teachers don't really expect great things out of me because I am not that good at life. My parents expect good marks in school but thats about it.

Anonymous said...

i think for the most part teachers are fair. however the expectations of my family are sometimes to high and they expect to many things. and as for peers, my peers sometimes want me to do things that i know are wrong or that i don't want to and they should respect the decision and not pressure. when i react i try to make it clear that they will not succeed in changing my decision

Anonymous said...

I don't really know, I just take control of my actions so teachers don't have to expect more than they have to of me. EVERY THING HAPPENS FOR A REASON!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I don't really know, I just take control of my actions so teachers don't have to expect more than they have to of me. EVERY THING HAPPENS FOR A REASON!!!!!!

dakOTA said...

I DO FEEL TORN BETWEEN OTHERS EXPECTATIONS!!!
When this happens I get angry but I try to keep my anger in. It often fails, so when im angry becuz of the unrealistic expectations of others I would just listen to my ipod. Family/Teachers and others have to realize what kind of expectations they have for their students/child. If one is pushed too far they just might quit at what they are doing.

Mckinley said...

I just say or do whatever comes to mind. I hate it how i'm not allowed to swear in school, but i try to fit some in when ever i can to keep me sane. whenever i have to deal with a nasty situation at school i make sure it is resolved quickly, and rationally. ha,ha!
Whatever. I'm just running on here making conversation, hugh.

The Wine Makers Apprentice said...

Every day I am put in some form of peer pressure. weather it is trying to fit in or just to try something. I try and change the conversation or things like that to get away from it but sometime it doesn't work so i just leave. So this is how i deal with peer pressure.

Mr. Jared Nichol said...

I thought it was tough in grade 9 when I went to school. With pressure from parents and peers and teachers, that's pretty much all we had to worry about. Now, with txtng, the internet, technology, sports at high levels, and other media sources, I find that students are torn in many different directions. There is big pressure to be a high achiever is so many areas, rather than be great in one or two.

You might feel like you are a Jack of all trades and master of none.

It is also tough when you go from one class to another and have to conform to each teacher's different rules and expectations. I know that my class certainly runs very differently than other classes, and adapting can be tough.

Tyson Haeh said...

i dont always react in the best of ways usually i kinda blow up at people who expect me to be someone im not it really ticks me off