Hi 9's
I remember reading the following poem in high school, I can't quite remember what grade but I remember I like it because I could clearly picture what D.H. Lawrence was writing about. I'll post just the first two stanzas. What I would like you to do is just write if you were able to clearly picture what the poet was trying to say and if so what did you "see"? You could also comment on whether you liked it or not, would read the rest, anything that comes to mind!
A snake came to my water-trough
On a hot, hot day, and I in pyjamas for the heat,
To drink there.
In the deep, strange-scented shade of the great dark carob-tree
I came down the steps with my pitcher
And must wait, must stand and wait, for there he was at the trough before me.
He reached down from a fissure in the earth-wall in the gloom
And trailed his yellow-brown slackness soft-bellied down, over the edge of the stone trough
And rested his throat upon the stone bottom,
And where the water had dripped from the tap, in a small clearness,
His sipped with his straight mouth,
Softly drank through his traight gums, into his slack long body.
Silently.
What words/phrases really stand out in this poem? Read the rest of the poem. What literary devices are used by Lawrence?

9 comments:
The thing that most stood out to me is that at the end he's talking about how the snake is straight and slack and stuff. Just describing.
No, i wouldn't read the rest. It sounds very childish and simple.
Hmmm.....
i don't necessarily like this poem but i could definitely create the image in my head it had a lot of descriptive words to create a vivid image in my mind. i don't really want to read the rest of the poem .
it has alot of descriptive wording which creates a very clear image in your skull. i read most of it but it started to drag. its aight
the poem is very creative but personally, I didnt really like the poem all that much. But in my mind i could deffinitly creat a image of what the poem was about. I would not read the rest of the poem.
i see a little kid with a water bucket and a rattlesnake in the well
It is a bit boring so i would not read the rest
i really don't like this poem but i could imagine of what the poem said . I wouldn't read the rest it was boring and i don't like it.
i really don't like this poem but i could imagine of what the poem said . I wouldn't read the rest it was boring and i don't like it.
i don't really like it, but it has a lot of imagery in it.
I really like your honesty. The rest of the poem is a bit different and my teacher analyzed it a lot so we found further meanings in it as well. But what I liked most was the imagery, I could picture it, which is why it appealed to me.
Post a Comment