Hi everyone,
Have any of you ever read a novel in the form of poetry? I haven't, in fact I only ever heard of them a couple years ago. I thought you might find it interesting to read an excerpt of one. As well, I'd like it if you would comment on at least three of the following.
-If you have read a poetry novel, did you like it? Why or why not?
-Would you ever read a poetry novel? Why or why not?
-Did you like the excerpt?
-Would you read this specific novel? If so, why? If not, why?
-Do you think the use of poetry is effective? Why or why not?
Title: One of those hideous books where the mother dies, written by Sonya Sones
Synopsis: This is the story of what happens/ when my mother dies/ and I'm dragged three thousand miles away/ from my boyfriend Ray, /to live in LA with my father/ who I've never even met/ because he's such a scumbag that he/ divorced my mom before I was born. /The only way I've ever even seen him/ is in the movies,/ since he's this megafamous actor/ who's been way too busy/ trying to win Oscars/ to even visit me once in fifteen years./ Everyone loves my father. /Everyone but me.
Excerpt:
I Don't Want to Get on This Plane
But now I don't want to get off it.
I gather up my stuff in slow motion
and make myself follow
the sumo wrestler down the aisle,
past the flight attendants standing byt the cockpit,
grinning and nodding at me
like those bobble-head dogs
that people stick on the dashboard of their cars.
I force myself to step through
the gaping steel jaw of the doorway,
and inch down the corridor of doom,
balancing on the tightrope
of dirty gray carpet,
painfully aware that every step I take
is leading me
closer and closer
to the sperm donor himself.

23 comments:
I read a poetry novel, "Song of the Sparrow" It was a good book because it was about King arthur and Camelot.
the whole book was a poem. And yes i would read the whole book, ive read it twice already.
The use of poetry was effective because it was a girl saying it, and it spoke her mind.
I would probably read poetry novel. its not really all that different from a traditional novel, it just has stanzas and yo have to think a little more about what you are reading. I think this use of poetry is affective, it really gives clear picture of what is happening and it is alot easier to understand than other poetry
i have not read a story in poetry form. i do not think i would read the whole thing or read it more then halfway through.
I have never read a poetry novel. I think I'd like to try it because I would think more while I read. I don't know if I would be able to get through the whole book but I would like to try to read it.
no i have not read something like that. i dont think i would becuse poetry is confusing a lot of time, and i dont concentrate enough to find the meaning of the words and really understand it. it would be boring i would start it and not finish.
I have never read a novel in the form of poetry. I wouldn't read poetry because it is confusing to me. I really wouldn't bother reading it because poetry is not my think to do.
i would not read a poetry novel because i hate to read.
i dont think the use of poetry is useful because i think it can just confuse people. (like me)
Yes i read poetry novels all of the time i actually like them better than plain old books. sonya sones and ellen hopkins would have to be my favorite poets. because the words have a lot more depth to me when there written in poetry, the way things are phrased makes you think. i have read this book already and i thought it was really good and books like this are a really fast read.
-If you have read a poetry novel, did you like it? Why or why not?
-Would you ever read a poetry novel? Why or why not?
-Did you like the excerpt?
-Would you read this specific novel? If so, why? If not, why?
-Do you think the use of poetry is effective? Why or why not?
I have never ready a poetry novel, its not extremely different from a normal novel. You just have to thinking about what is going on more and what you think the poet is trying to show. This form could be effictive but it has to be really good because if its not everyone is just going to end up being bored of what they are reading even faster.
no i would not read a whole book about poetry that would take a very long time but i think it would be a very cool thing to do some day though.
If you have read a poetry novel, did you like it? Why or why not?
-Would you ever read a poetry novel? Why or why not?
-Did you like the excerpt?
-Would you read this specific novel? If so, why? If not, why?
-Do you think the use of poetry is effective? Why or why not?
Indeed i have read a novel that was written in poetry, and i loved it! Personally I thought it was one of the best books that i have ever read. Yes i would read a poetry novel because I think that it expresses things that other books normally don't. I think that poetry novel is just as effective as a normal book. Perhaps it may be a little more effective but mostly around the same.
i've never read a poetry novel before nor heard of it in my life. i think the use o poetry can be affective if its used in the right place and time. poetry is see as way of expressing your self and i think f used right then it can have a big affect on people.
I have not read a poetry novel.
Yes I would try out a poetry novel just to see how they rearrange their words and sentences.
Yes
Yes because I want to try a new type of book.
Yes I believe this type of poetry is effected because it tells the true feelings of the people who express it.
I haven't read a poetry novel. I probably wouldn't read a poetry novel because i don't really like to read.
It was alright, it sounded just like any old novel and not as much like a poem.
Yes because it is suitable for people who like poetry and novels.
I have never read a poetry novel but i really want to now, becuase it seems like something thing that would draw you into having to think about what you read, which i like. I like the exerpt that book that you got this from looks interesting. I think that this form of poetry is effective because it makes you think while you read and is very descriptive.
i have not read the poem, but i would like to. it is always good to read more literature. If it were boring through i probably would not read the entire thing.
no i have never read a poetry novel. i think i would read a poetry novel but i wouldn't be able to read it all unless i like it. poetry is effective because you can get a picture from the poem.
Poetry novel is something i would read, its just like a verse book. I think its just more descriptive and thoughtful. It's affective beause its easier to understand you dont have to take it apart to figure things out you just read it and it makes sense.
Poetry novel is something i would read, its just like a verse book. I think its just more descriptive and thoughtful. It's affective beause its easier to understand you dont have to take it apart to figure things out you just read it and it makes sense.
i personally have never read a poetry novel. i also would most likely never choose to read a poetry novel. poetry is something i find to personal to read or write a whole book about. i have not read "the excerpt" but this specific novel maybe. simply because its been recommended has a good review. This type of poetry in my opinion is not as real as shorter poems, because like i said its hard to keep real feeling and emotion with that length of time.
Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to comment on your individual blogs. Any ideas that could help me?
I was really surprised at the amount of you that would read a poetry novel. I think that's great! I think it would really offer a different perspective and meaning that were it written in prose. Like some of you mentioned, it can really make you think and as a bonus can be a quick read.
But I also respect when those of you who said that you wouldn't. Although a person may appreciate poetry, it doesn't necessarily mean that they like to read it. It can be hard to understand.
Thank you all for thinking about it and responding!
Hmmmm, this is a good blog question. I am surprised to see that many of you would consider reading, or have read poetry novels. I do not have any experience with poetry novels, nor have I read any - which is surprising since I'm such a nerd for words!
I would read a poetry novel in hopes that the words, emotion, and plot are deftly arranged to make me savor each page.
Any suggestions for good ones to read?
Post a Comment